What is the scope of Hotel Management as a Career?
Hotel managers handle the entire hotel operations. They are responsible for providing guests with all kind of services like accommodation, meals, Laundry, Valet parking etc.
Jobs related to Hotel Management are also available in Restaurants, Cruise Ships, Hospitals, Airline Catering, Cabin Services and High-end retail stores. A recent case was of Maruti Suzuki which hired Hotel Management graduates for its High-End retail outlet ‘Nexa’.
India has an estimated 1, 70,000 hotel rooms of which around 60,000 are branded. Over the next few years, another 60,000 hotel rooms are expected to be added. There is explosive growth happening in Low Budget Hotel space with the entry of OYO rooms, ZO rooms etc. too.
Global development and growth of the tourism industry have opened up uncountable avenues for employment.
Students can look forward to career opportunities as:
- Management Trainee in Hotel and allied hospitality industry
- Kitchen Management/Housekeeping Management positions in Hotels after initial stint as trainee
- Flight Kitchens and on-board flight services
- Indian Navy Hospitality services
- Guest/Customer Relation Executive in Hotel and other Service Sectors
- Management Trainee/Executive in international and national fast food chains
- Hospital and Institutional Catering
- Faculty in Hotel Management/Food Craft Institutes
- Shipping and Cruise lines
- Marketing/Sales Executive in Hotel and other Service Sectors
- State Tourism Development Corporations
- Resort Management
- Self-employment through entrepreneurship
- Multinational companies for their hospitality services etc.
What are the key Hotel Management Colleges/Universities in India
- National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT)
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Aurangabad
- Welcome Group’s Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi
- FHRAI Institute of Hotel Management, Greater Noida
- Oberoi Hotel – Systematic Training and Education Group (STEP)
- Welcome group Management Institute, Gurgaon
What is the duration of Hotel Management Course?
The duration of the course varies from 3 years to 4 years.
The Institutes of Hotel Management (IHM’s) under NCHMCT offer a 3 year Bachelor of Science program in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (BSc H &HA).
The Welcome Group offers a 4-year course, Bachelor in Hotel Management (BHM).
Guru Gobind Indraprastha University offers a 4 years course, Bachelor of Hotel Management & Catering Technology (BHMCT)
What exactly is taught in Hotel Management?
Hotel Management course follows a different approach to teaching. Every subject is taught first through classroom discussion and then through practical application. Following are the major areas covered
- FOOD PRODUCTION
- FOOD & BEVERAGE SERVICE
- FRONT OFFICE OPERATIONS
- ACCOMMODATION OPERATIONS
- APPLICATION OF COMPUTERS
- HOTEL ENGINEERING
- HOTEL ACCOUNTANCY
- FOOD SAFETY & QUALITY
What is the eligibility of Hotel Management?
Eligibility: Age Limit for General Category students is 22 years and Passing marks in class 12th.
Who should not study Hotel Management?
Hotel Management, however, is not ideally suited for people who are:
- Short Tempered
- Looking for quick money
Which of the following is better? BBA in Travel and Tourism or Bachelors in Hotel Management?
The two courses are fairly poles apart :
|BBA in Travel and Tourism||BBA (T&TM)- Financial Accounting|
|Business Economics||Hotel Management|
|Business Mathematics||FOOD PRODUCTION|
|Computer Fundamentals||FOOD & BEVERAGE SERVICE|
|FRONT OFFICE OPERATIONS|
What is the placement and Career Scope of Hotel Management?
BBA Travel and Tourism gives you complete knowledge of Finance, Marketing and Human Resources of any business. You would have additionally studied 7-8 subjects related to travel and tourism. After BBA (T&T) you can expect an entry level job in a Marketing/ Finance/ HR function of any company.
A Hotel Management graduate, on the other hand, will not be working in the marketing or financial side of a business. He/She would be would be handling the accommodation, food, laundry operations of a hotel.
What are the salaries offered in Hotel Management?
The salary level depends varies based on the college. However, the average salary packages for the industry are as follows :
General Manager: Rs 1,831,257
Executive Chef: Rs 2,048,000
Front Office Manager: Rs 305,209
Restaurant Manager: Rs 450,000
Executive Assistant: Rs 305,209
Chef: Rs 244,168
Duty Manager: Rs 361,315
How much would Hotel Management cost me?
The total cost of Hotel Management course varies from 1 lac per annum to 4 lacs per annum.
- Welcome Group
- TAJ – Aurangabad
- BA-LLB/BBA-LLB (GGSIPU)
- Christ University Law Entrance
- Narsee Monjee Law Entrance
- Many More
Hours of the program: 90 Hours
- Class per week: 7
- Class Duration: 2 hours
Duration of Program: April to end of May (Till GGSIPU Entrance exam)
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
- General Knowledge
- Verbal Ability
- Media Aptitude