Journalism and Mass Media
Career in journalism is a prestigious profession as well as a highly paid one. Journalist plays a major role in the development of a nation. It is through them that we get information about daily happenings in the society. The purpose of journalism itself is to inform and interpret, educate and enlighten the people.
The opportunities for journalists are endless and at the same time the job has become more challenging, as the new world is increasingly proving the adage that “the pen (and the camera) is mightier than the sword.” Simple reporting of events is no more sufficient, more specialization and professionalism in reporting is required. Journalists specialize in diverse areas, such as politics, finance and economics, investigation, culture and sports for newspapers and periodicals.
Graduates who seek employment find placements in Policy Research Agencies, Media & production
houses, Event Management firms, Web & Travel writing, Journalism and Advertising agencies.
Delhi University offers two separate courses namely B.A. (Hons) Hindi Journalism and B.A. (Hons) Journalism.
B.A. (Hons.) Hindi Journalism is 3-year course offered at the following colleges:
- Aditi Mahavidyalaya (Only Girls)
- Bhim Rao Ambedkar College
- Ram Lal Anand College
- Sri Guru Nanak Dev Khalsa College
B.A. (Hons) Journalism course is 3 year course offered at the following colleges:
- Delhi College of Arts & Commerce
- Kalindi College (Only Girls)
- Kamla Nehru College (Only Girls)
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women (Only Girls)
- Maharaja Agrasen College
Mass Media and Mass Communication [BMMMC] degree
- IP college for Women
Fees: Rs 10,000
GURU GOVIND SINGH INDRAPRASTH UNIVERSITY
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) conducts Common Entrance Test (CET) for admission to its Bachelor of Journalism (Mass Communication) course. The colleges offering BJMC course under GGSIPU are:
- BLS Institute of Technology Management Rohtak Road, NH -10, Bahadurgarh, Haryana
- Fairfield Institute of Management & Technology Plot No 1037/1, Kapashera New Delhi
- Jagannath International Management School, OCF Pocket -9, Sector B, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi
- Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education E-53, Main Outer Ring Road, Prashant Vihar, Delhi
- Lingaya’s Lalita Devi Institute of Management Science, 847-848, Mandi Road, New Delhi
- Madhu Bala Institute of Communication and Electronic Media, 120-B, Madangir, Behind Local Shopping complex, Madangir, Delhi
- Technia Institute of Advanced Studies 3, PSP, Institutional Area, Madhuban Chowk, Rohini
- Trinity Institute of Professional Studies Sector 9 Dwarka, New Delhi
- Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies Pitampura, New Delhi
- Delhi Metropolitan Education B-12, Sector 62 NOIDA (U.P.)
- Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Management Studies Rohini sec-22
Total No. of Seats in IP University (BJMC) are 1100+
Entrance Test Details
|English Language and Comprehension||25%|
The duration of the test is 150 minutes
Eligibility: Pass in 12th class with 50% marks with English as the compulsory subject
Date of Entrance Test: May
Last date of application: April
Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication
Symbiosis is a family of 44 academic institutions, imparting quality education for over 40 years. It is host to over 27,000 Indian and International students on campus and over 1,00,000 students off campus.
About Bachelor of Arts (Mass Communication)
The full-time programme is spread over a period of three years, and spaced out over six semesters of six months each, incorporating theoretical lectures, hands-on practical sessions, tutorials, classroom presentations, take-home assignments, sporting & cultural events, field trips, study tours, project and internships.
- Journalism including Print, Electronic and Cyber Media
- Film & Television including Radio & Television Production, Ad Film-making, Documentary Film-making and Film Studies
- Advertising including Client Servicing, Account Planning, Media and Creative – Copy & Visual
- Public Relations including Corporate Communication and Event Management
Entrance Test Details
|Analytical & Logical Reasoning||30|
Test Duration: 150 minutes
There is no negative marking for wrong answers.
Eligibility: 50% Mark in 12th Board Exam.
ST. XAVIER’S, MUMBAI
St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai, India, is one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in India and has been awarded the highest rating, A+ (5-Star), in the re-accreditation by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 2006.
About Bachelor in Mass Media
The coursework is based on rigorous academic study and trains students to understand the fundamental sciences of sociology, psychology, politics, economics and the like, that have defined the media and its effects. Subjects in Journalism, Media studies, advertising and Public relations introduce the students to the current trends in the media industry.
The areas of specializations in the third year are: Advertising and Journalism.
Admission Procedure: Entrance exam (60%), and the marks obtained in the Std. XII Exam (40%).
Entrance Exam: For the BMM it will consist of questions on General Knowledge Current Affairs, Data Interpretation, English Language Skills and Critical Analysis & Creative Thinking.
Time: 2 hours
Type: Objective + Subjective
WHISTLING WOODS INTERNATIONAL
Whistling Woods International is a film, communication and media arts institute located in Mumbai, India. The institute is promoted by Indian Filmmaker Subhash Ghai, Mukta Arts Limited and Film City Mumbai. In July 2014, The Hollywood Reporter named Whistling Woods on its list of “The best film schools in the world”. The school was first ranked among the top 10 film schools by The Hollywood Reporter in 2010.
The Institute has affiliations with global film schools, including international student co-productions and credits transfer. Some of the affiliations are with Deakin University and Griffith University in Australia, Bradford College in the UK, Syracuse University in the United States and New York University Tisch School of the Arts, Asia.
About the course:
The 3 year BBA in Management and Graduate Program in Media & Communication is a dual-certification programme. The BBA degree is awarded from an affiliated university and the Graduate Programme certificate is awarded by Whistling Woods International. The objective is to give students an in-depth understanding of the management of media and the entertainment industry. Over the course of their study, the students will be exposed to Management topics, Contextual studies (General Education) as well as practical and theoretical topics of media and entertainment to gain a holistic perspective of the media world. An entire array of subjects are taught to the students to create a strong base of understanding and knowledge.
Eligibility: 10+2 or Equivalent from any recognized board.
Selection Process: General Aptitude Test, Creative Ability Test & Personal Interview.